Friday, October 1, 2010

Pot Roast.. Italian Style!

Growing up we were a meat and potatoes family.  Every Sunday night my parents would make a pot roast.  You know the kind.. served with carrots, potatoes and brown gravy.  I loved it.. but now that I am an adult and my tastes have changed.. so has my Pot Roast.  My hubby is half italian and together we made this awesome combination of deliciousness to make our Pot Roast.. Italian Style!

The Ingredients:

1 Pot Roast ( I buy the biggest one I can find when it is on sale for $1.99 lb)
1 35oz can crushed tomatoes with basil (I like Tuttorossa)
1 onion chopped
1 shallot chopped
1 package of mushrooms sliced
3 Tbls canola oil
1 Tbls butter
3/4 cup red wine
1 Tbls italian seasoning
3 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of peas (optional)

Heat your oil in a large pot.  Saute your chopped onions until translucent. 

While the onions are cooking trim the bottom layer of fat from the pot roast and season with salt and pepper.   Move the onions to the outside of the pot then add the pot roast and the butter. 
 Brown the meat on all sides. 


 Once the meat is browned add the mushrooms and saute.  Then deglazed the pan with red wine.  Add the peas, italian seasoning, bay leaves and salt and pepper. 

Bring to a boil then lower heat to low and simmer atleast 5 hours with the lid on.  Once the meat is tender and falls apart bring the sauce to a boil and reduce to desired thickness. 
I love to serve this dish over penne and topped with a generous helping of parmesan cheese.  And don't forget the bread to soak up all of the delicious sauce!
Hope you enjoy!
I am linking this recipe to FireFlies and Jellybeans Show Your Stuff Party @ http://www.firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/
Love,
Pinkapotamus

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, this looks delicious! Pot roast is my favorite, but never tried it this way! My family will be glad to try something new! Thanks for stopping by Three Pixie Lane! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good, and easy. will have to try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s great how you combined your husbands culture with yours to make a whole new pot roast. I like the idea of adding Penne with it instead of mashed potatoes or another side dish. I would recommend trying grass fed beef for your meat. I work with La Cense Beef, and I know the health benefits grass fed beef offers. The taste difference is also amazing.

    ReplyDelete